Overexposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun can cause significant damage to your skin. Here are the facts:
- Up to 80% of skin aging is caused by the sun.
- UVA rays from the sun can penetrate deep into your skin and damage collagen, which is the protein that holds your skin together in a firm and smooth way.
- UVA breaks down the collagen structure which results in wrinkles.
- Once collagen is damaged, it cannot re-build itself.
- Freckles and sun spots are signs of skin damage and develop as a result of too much sun exposure.
- Freckles and sun spots are frequently found on face, legs and back of hands. Individuals who sunbathe regularly may develop freckles and sun spots all over their skin.
- Overexposure to the sun’s UV rays results in a painful sunburn. UV rays penetrate deep into the layers of your skin and kill living skin cells.
- In response to this trauma, your body’s immune system increases blood flow into the damaged area so white blood cells can remove the dead skin cells. This blood flow is what causes your sunburned skin to become warm and red.
- There is substantial evidence that sunburns can lead to DNA damage. Repeated sunburns dramatically increase your risk of developing skin cancer because of this damage to your DNA.
(SOURCES 1. American Academy of Dermatology 2. How Stuff Works: “What is a Sunburn?”Institute 3. Go sun smart)
All year round, weather sunny or raining, cloudy or windy, SPF should be warn at all times. Even though the sun is not ‘shining’ as we say, the UV rays are still there and still doing damage to your skin. An SPF30 can be used through out the winter months but this should be upped to an SPF50 during the summer months.
ADVANCED ANTI-AGEING UV PROTECTION Protect your skin from UV and ageing damage with the CLINICALLY PROVEN Heliocare®.
The Heliocare® range of high or very high UVB and UVA protection products is designed to enable specific presentations to be matched with an individual’s skin-type, lifestyle, skin-health and the time of year. The Heliocare® high protection and very high protection Gels, Hydragel and Gelcream Colour are expertly formulated to provide the most effective UV screens and filters in optimum combinations with Fernblock® and selected highly researched skin protection & enhancing ingredients.
- High or very high level UVA and UVB protection with great skin-loving-gel formulations
- Clinically and scientifically proven skin-specific anti-oxidant activity and dermal protection
Available at Whitethorn Fields MediClinic, the Heliocare SPF range really are a must have tool in the fight against anti-ageing!